top of page
Virtual Museum (1).png

History of Vandalia

In 1838, Vandalia was founded by Benjamin Wilhelm.  The village was laid out in 33 lots along east National Road and Nelson Street.  Mr. Wilhelm was elected as its first mayor and the village started to grow.

The first church in the village was built in 1838, by the United Brethren congregation on the northwest corner of Troy and Nelson Street (Dixie Drive and Kenbrook today).

During those early years, the village had hotels, blacksmiths shops, a steam sawmill, meat markets, and a carriage shop.

The first school was established in 1869 at the northwest corner of Perry and Nelson Streets.  Vandalia became an independent school district with ten additional districts in the township.

In 1900, Butler High School was built at the intersection of Peters Pike and National Road for Butler Township students.

Vandalia flourished in the late 1870's.  The demand for hose-drawn vehicles and their repairs helped to create thriving businesses in the village.  By 1881 the population was 315.  in 1920, the Vandalia and Butler District School Boards voted to create a centralized school system.  What is now known as Morton Middle School was opened January 22, 1922.

Vandalia was outgrowing its village status by 1959, and the voters chose the Council-Manager as its form of government.  This made the village a municipal corporation, and on January 1, 1960, Vandalia became a Charter City of the State of Ohio.  Vandalia celebrated the 150th year of its founding in 1988.

Exhibits & Galleries

Buildings

Barn
hsvb0059.jpg

Make History With Us!

Here are some ways you can get involved.

Donate

Visit In Person

336 E Alkaline Springs Road

Vandalia, OH 45377

Make a Donation

Make a tax deductible donation‏.

Check us out on Facebok

Our new page is coming soon!

bottom of page