top of page

About

The Historical Society of Vandalia Butler was founded in 1977 as an out-growth of the Vandalia Bicentennial.  We had purchased the Log House, but didn't have a home for it until 1980 when Mary C. Hoottinger donated her homestead and 8 1/2 aces to the Historical Society.

The first deed of this property on Alkaline Springs Road was recorded in Volume One of the Montgomery County Deed Book.  It was considered public land and was purchased from the government by Benjamin Furnas in 1825, and originally consisted of 154 acres.  The deed was signed by John Q. Adams.

Ferdinand Hoottinger purchased 19 acres of the above property in the late 1880's.

Today, with the Hoottinger Home, Log House, The Brown School and other buildings, we have an educational tool of history where one can see first hand a hint of what life and education was like in the early years of our country.

Board meetings are the second Monday of each month at 7:00PM in the Meeting House at 336 East Alkaline Springs Road.  Members and the general public are welcome.

Our Mission

Our Mission

The Mission of the The Historical Society of Vandalia Butler is to perpetuate the history of the Vandalia-Butler Community and to educate people about the importance of this history.

IMG_9115.png
IMG_3234.png

Our Leadership

2023 Officers,
Board of Trustees & Committee Chairs

President: Al Tuttle
Vice President: Brandon Sucher
Secretary: Wanda Weber
Treasurer: Keyona Koebel

Board Trustees
Trustee: Arlene Setzer
Trustee: Mary Geiger
Trustee: Tiffany Goodman
Trustee: Linda Karns
Trustee: Jack Shirley

Committee Chairs
Membership: Tonya Hittner
Program: Open
Rentals: Wanda Weber
Acquisitions: Wanda Weber
Education: Linda Karns

Gardens/Pollinator Planting: Mary Geiger

Grounds and Mowing: Dave Cassell

Social Media: Tonya Hittner

We Need Your Support Today!

bottom of page