top of page
Virtual Museum (1).png

Log House

This classic old two story log structure was originally located in Loramie Township / Shelby County near Russia, Ohio.  The exact age is not known, however, we do know that the existing steeple notch log corners were discontinued around 1825.

This structure was the home of the Francis family until 1898, and was then owned by the Barga family until 1971.  The Dunker family kept it for a while and sold it to Lawrence Royer, who ultimately sold the dwelling to the Historical Society of Vandalia-Butler on April 23, 1979.

_DSC9239.jpg

Exhibits & Galleries

Artifacts

Exhibits

Other Buildings

Barn

Restoration

After it was acquired by the Historical Society in 1979, members dismantled and stored the timbers of the house until 1980, when Mary C. Hoottinger donated the 8 1/2 acres homestead to the Historical Society.  Ground was broken on this site on May 3, 1981 and the log house was officially dedicated on September 18, 1983.  Typical furnishings and decorative items have been donated by members and friends.

IMG_9519.jpeg

Make History With Us!

Here are some ways you can get involved.

Donate

Visit In Person

336 E Alkaline Springs Road

Vandalia, OH 45377

Make a Donation

Make a tax deductible donation‏.

Check us out on Facebok

Our new page is coming soon!

bottom of page